Macbeth Act 2, scene 2
Remember that you must make reference to specific examples from the text. You must have as much experience as possible of picking techniques from the text. Remember, the techniques you are concentrating on are characterisation, dialogue, stage direction, word choice, tone and imagery. Everything must be linked to ONE theme.
1. What is morally wrong with the way in which Macbeth slaughters Duncan? Why is it evil and unnatural?
2. It could be argued that Lady Macbeth is taking pleasure in the act her husband is committing. Show how through structure and word choice, this tone of enjoyment is created.
3. “Hark! I laid their daggers ready;/ He could not miss ‘em. Had he not resembled/ My father as he slept, I had done ’t.” These lines illustrate two things about Lady Macbeth. Analysing and identifying the techniques used, show what aspects they illustrate.
4. Look at the stage direction which follows this. What motif is metioned for a second time here? Why is this a literal representation of the deed and a metaphorical representation?
5. Macbeth comes in from the murder startled. How do his answers, when questioned by his wife, reflect this?
6. “(looking at his hands) This is a sorry sight.” Show how the word choice, structure and stage direction used here illustrate Macbeth’s horror at what he has just done.
7. “A foolish thought, to say a sorry sight.” What does this tell us about how Lady Macbeth feels towards what her husband has done? Is she concerned about how he is coping?
8. One cried, “God bless us!” and “Amen” the other,
As they had seen me with these hangman’s hands.
List’ning their fear I could not say “Amen,”
When they did say “God bless us!”
This illustrates how horrified Macbeth is. What is unnatural about this event and how does it show his departure from what is good and natural? He compares himself to the hangman, what are the connotations of this comparison?
9. Lady Macbeth continually dismisses her husband’s concerns. Find one example of this and show how it differs from Macbeth’s feelings?